Friday 18 April 2014

Sometimes in April

“Yes, it is April again. Every year in April the rainy season starts. And every year, every day in April, a haunting emptiness descends over our hearts. Every year in April, I remember how quickly life ends. Every year, I remember how lucky I should feel to be alive. Every year in April… I remember…”



These are the opening words uttered by Augustin Muganza, played by Idris Elba, in the 2005 historical drama Sometimes in April, recounting the horrors of the 1994 Genocide of Rwanda. In this movie emotions run high, our humanity is questioned, and our conscience is interrogated. For those with hearts, the questioning and interrogation happens within oneself. Within a space of 100 days, almost a million of our brothers and sisters were wiped away from the earth’s surface. They were accused of being Tutsi. It was the greatest genocide of our time. I shall return to Rwanda shortly; for now, it is the story of April.

April each year is a soul-searching month for me. April each year begins on a good note, with April Fools’ Day on the 1st. Here I get to prank my family and friends. I get to prank my classmates and colleagues.  This year however, my friend and housemate Jonah, caught me before I caught him. I was too slow. He BBM’ed me in class while I was attending an Administrative Law lecture. He said he had been involved in an accident and needed my urgent help. I packed up, almost about to leave the lecture hall. Just as I remembered that it is April Fools’ Day, he sent me a message confirming my foolishness. Leon Schuster would say I was “Schusked”! This is the fun side of April, always beginning on a good note.

Then April holds Human Rights Day in South Africa. Half a continent away in April 1994, just as the killings by machetes began in Rwanda, South Africa was holding its first ever democratic elections, and 75 year-old Nelson Mandela and millions of black South African were voting for the very first time in their lives. Democracy was being born. Every year in April, this redeemed nation remembers the horrors of apartheid, how through reconciliation a nation was rescued from the verge of civil war. Just as in Rwanda, this day opens wounds. Memories of the past are brought to life; people of my colour remember how they were considered perpetual infants in the motherland, how people with a different skin colour from overseas came and claimed ownership of their land and wealth. They remember Cecil John Rhodes when he said; “I contend that we are the finest race in the world and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race…What an alteration there would be if they Africans were brought under Anglo-Saxon influence”, and many other similar sentiments uttered by like-minded souls, those who regarded melanin to be a brain fluid. So the rhetoric went on for centuries, unabated. But then, these bad and bitter feelings are quickly subsumed by the memories of victory, when good triumphed over evil. So instead, they pause on this day to celebrate the achievements of humanity in their beautiful country, and they take stock of how far they have gone in undoing three and a half centuries of dehumanization. Human rights have a very special place in my heart; the desire to practice in human rights and advance the respect, promotion and protection of human rights in our troubled continent is my reason for studying law, believe it or not. South Africa has a story to tell. Their transition was almost miraculous. So I watched Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, again, as I introspected on this momentous day. What Mandela did brings solace, so we celebrate him. The world’s most loved and admired man showed humanity what love can do. He left us last year, having fulfilled his calling. Indeed as he said, “When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace”. So the man can rest. Yes, he showed us that “No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite”. So what we really need is love, and the respect of human rights follows, naturally. As Obama remembers him, Nelson Mandela is “a man who took history in his hands and bent the arc of the moral universe towards justice”.

This year, Easter falls in April. I am a believer. I believe in my redemption, justification and sanctification through the death of our Savior Jesus Christ. It gives me strength; it renews my spirit and conviction. As Apostle Paul said, it brings me to the knowledge that it is no longer I who lives, but Christ through me. As 1 Corinthians 5: 21 assures me: For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him”. By His blood I was bought – cash, no credit! Then Romans 8:35-39 reassures me;

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?...For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,  nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

So the message is also about love. April reminds me of the love of Christ, love that I am enjoined to share with all humanity, and express to same.

April 18, 1980 is the year the Union Jack came down at Rufaro Stadium in Harare’s Mbare suburb. The Zimbabwean flag was raised; it was Independence Day. The legendary Bob Marley came from Jamaica, and he sang at this occasion. He penned a song for it, the famous ‘Zimbabwe’. So every year on 18 April, my nation gathers in Harare, at the National Sports Stadium or at Rufaro Stadium to mark this day. Thousands others gather at different locations across the ten provinces of the country. So we remember how our nation was born, and how it has been bred. For me, this is a bitter sweet experience; sweet because we shacked off the bondage of colonialism, and we proved Cecil John Rhodes and his naivety wrong. In his life time, and within 1000 years, black majority rule was established in Zimbabwe. Bitter because in the now, 34 years down the line, my nation bleeds for justice, peace and stability. Something has gone wrong. Before he left, Mandela described the happening in my country as tragic failure of leadership. Alan Paton would help me shout “Cry the Beloved Country”! At one point as we sought to find solid footing after independence, my country become known as the bread basket of Africa. We exported food. My country came to be known as the most educated nation in Africa. Now we export human capital like no other commodity. Now our people are called “Kwerekweres” in South Africa and Botswana. Many drowned in the Limpopo River or were eaten by crocodiles as they tried to cross the border for greener pastures. Many died during the period of xenophobia. Many are called illegal aliens and illegal foreigners in the United Kingdom, In Australia and in Canada. In the world, the nation slowly became isolated, a pariah state. Terror was unleashed on a people. The economy fell. In 1980 the life expectancy in Zimbabwe was 66; now it stands at 37. In 1980 the exchange rate was US$2 to Z$1; it was twice as strong as the South African Rand. Then we had the highest inflation in the world, superseding that of the Weimar Republic of the 1920s. Now there is no Zimbabwean dollar to talk of. We became a problem in SADC, and we were in the news globally, receiving more coverage than that given to the other 53 African countries combined. So my heart bleeds when we celebrate independence, rather, commemorate. I think of Franz Fanon’s Black Skin, White Masks, and Steve Bantu Bikos’ prophetic observation in 1972:

"If we have a mere change of face of those in governing positions, what is likely to happen is that black people will continue to be poor, and you will see a few blacks filtering through into the so-called bourgeoisie. Our society will be run almost as of yesterday."

All this comes to life in April, on this day of introspection. So I cannot speak much of celebration. Instead, I long for good governance and the respect of human rights in the motherland. Hope never dries!

Ten days later, after commemorating Zimbabwe’s independence in 1990, I was to be born on April 28. On this day I call my mother, and thank her for all she has done for me, and for raising me single-handedly when the worst came to pass. On this day I count it joy to live, and a privilege, when many are losing their lives every day. It is an age where life expectancy has dropped to its lowest levels ever in my country. In Africa South of the Sahara, HIV/AIDS has wreaked havoc, reducing life to trash, and blowing it away like ash. I cannot put it any better that Bunmi Mukinwa (UNAIDS Eastern and Southern Africa) does in his book AIDS Africa: A Continent in Crisis; “No terrorist attach, no war, has ever threatened the lives of more than 40 million people worldwide. AIDS does.” So as I am alive and healthy, I reflect on the beauty of life, and I thank God for all I have and all I have achieved. I reflect on my own contribution to mother earth. I make vows to be a better person each year, better than I am now this time next year.

I shall now return to Rwanda. In April 1994 the genocide started. I have known what happened in Rwandan 1994 from my days in high school. I knew people were killed; I had watched Hotel Rwanda. As my passion for human rights, peace and good governance grew, I was inspired to learn more on what happened in this great tragedy. I wanted to know more on what went wrong, and why. So I watched Hotel Rwanda again. Then Sometimes in April, and The Ghosts of Rwanda. I read newspaper articles, magazine articles and books. I read General Romeo Dallaire’s Shake Hands With the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda, a recount of his hallowing personal journey as he led the UN Peacekeeping Mission in Rwanda during the genocide. Then I read Philip Gourevitch ‘s We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda, Immaculee Ilibagiza's Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust, Fergal Keane’s Season of Blood: A Rwandan Journey , Linda Melvern’s A People Betrayed: The Role of the West in Rwanda's Genocide, the list goes on.  As Philip Gourevitch puts it in his article ‘Remembering Rwanda’;

The season of slaughter that decimated Rwanda twenty years ago is one of the defining outrages of humankind. At no other time in the history of our species were so many of us killed so fast or so intimately: roughly a million people in a hundred days, most of them butchered by hand, by their neighbors, with household tools and homemade weapons - machetes and hoes and hammers and clubs.”

It is April once more, and the wounds of Rwanda are opened. This year, as every other year, the people of Rwanda gathered in Kigali, at Amahoro Stadium. 20 years on, the stadium cried as a survivor narrated his story during the genocide. This crying happens every year. This period calls upon us to remember with the people of Rwanda. In 1995 when he was appointed Chair of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Desmond Tutu had this the say:

"I hope that the work of the commission, by opening wounds to cleanse them, will thereby stop them from festering. We cannot be facile and say bygones will be bygones, because they will not be bygones and will return to haunt us. True reconciliation is never cheap, for it is based on forgiveness, which is costly. Forgiveness in turn depends on repentance, which has to be based on an acknowledgement of what was done wrong, and therefore on disclosure of the truth. You cannot forgive what you do not know."

The remembrance of the days of the genocide in Rwanda has this very same effect and objectives described by Tutu. In order to truly heal, one must not run away from the reality of what happened. More so, in order to prevent what happened, one cannot be oblivious to what transpired. This is by no means an easy process. So difficult has it been for the Rwandans themselves that many schools have not yet began to teach the history of the genocide, in order to gain closure and to heal. This is understandable given the nature oif the tragedy we are dealing with.

The world turned its back on Rwanda, as a people descended on their own. Today Rwanda is a haunted nation. The story of their recovery and the rebuilding of Rwanda however, is moving. As Strive Masiyiwa reported from his recent attendance at the Rwanda Genocide Commemoration week in Kigali, today Rwanda is one of the fasted growing economies in the world!

It is April once more, and the rainy season has started in Rwanda. May the rain wash away the tears and pain of this nation that has been through a dark history in our time. May restoration come upon Rwanda, and may restoration come upon humanity. Rwanda occupies a special place in my heart, and remains an inspiration for me to use to talents for the benefit of my continent in peacebuilding, human rights and good governance. I cannot express it better than Wyclef Jean does in his song “Million Voices”: “There’s no money, no diamonds, no fortunes on this planet that can replace Rwanda...”, and in his touching chorus sang by children in Kinyarwanda:
“Ni ryari izuba, Rizagaruka, Hejuru yacu, Ni nd' uzaricyeza ricyeza”.
            [When will the sun return above us? Who will reveal it once again to us?]

So April for me is a significant month. It holds memories. It harbors pain, frustration and joys. It brings introspection and reaffirms my hope and strengthens my resolve. It is a soul-searching month, as I watch it pass slowly. If I have drawn your attention to one thing, let it be Rwanda. So this April, and in the months to come, spare a though for Rwanda. The question is: can we answer with conviction that 1994 Rwanda will never occur again in another African country? So let the story of Rwanda be a message of love for humanity, and the need to spread peace and love rather than violence and hate. Let the importance of love that the gospel speaks of, which in essence is the story of Easter, become real in the face of what happened in Rwanda, and let the events of Rwanda strengthen your resolve to contribute to peace, good governance and the respect of human rights in Africa and beyond.

In the meantime, I am craving to visit an African country, Rwanda. Yes, I want to visit Kigali, and Hôtel des Mille Collines!!

Musa Kika
April 18, 2014.
Durban 

No comments:

Post a Comment